Sunday, November 4, 2007

In which Alison is thourghly pampered: or "I will have my driver take you."

Sorry it's been so long since an update. We just got back from our weekend in Madurai, but really the weekend began on Thursday, when Dr. Banu (apparently appaled by the state of Kyla's skin), arranged her driver to pick us up and take us to her beauty parlor. We we're quite sure what to expect, and were a little frightened by being told that the beayutitions did not speak English so we would have to call to Chenni where the owner lived and have her translate our requests. Still, we were excited as we drove through one of the nicer neighberhoods and stopped in front of a lovely house. They opened the door and we were ushered into a lovely sitting room, and then given pedicaures with warm oil and our eyebrows were threaded. It was really neat to watch, but REALLY REALLY hurt! They laughed at me for being such a baby. Clearly, Mom, I havn't changed much.

We got back to the hospital and Kyla and I ran out to get a pumpkin from the local market. After totally confusing the man at the vegitable stall, by trying out whether they would stand up, insisting on a orange one, and generally looking at their "faces", we took it back to our rooms to carve. Lisette enjoyed her very first pumpkin carving! We made it very traditional (triangle eyes and nose, toothy mouth) and found that snacking on the raw pumpkin peices was very tasty! We still missed pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, pumpkin lasagna and apple cider all the fall traets) but it was still nice to munch something orange. Then, we "reverse trick-or-treated" through the hostpial, giving out candy and explaining (with Kyla miming someone knocking at a door, someone openning the door, yelling trick or treat, and then getting candy to great confusion and amusement) what Halloween was. Apparently, in Holland, they also have a "give me candy" holiday, except that say "Candy or your life!" (to which I always say "I'm thinking it over!"). Many people asked if it was our birthday, since here you give out candy on your birhtday.

We even went into the labor ward, wehre the mother in her 4th hour of labor was happy to get a sweet and the nurses thought we were the greatest thing ever. We went to Dr. Gigi's house (right next door to teh hostpial) and her parents house (right next to that) and gave tem candy. Her father has been all over the world, and had a great time sowing us all of this "collection" from other places.

The next day, the pateints all asked after the pumpkin. I guess that's what we'll be remembered for!

Friday we went to Madurai, the major city in this area. It's about 4 hours away by bus, and we arrived and checked into teh hotel around 3ish. Then, after lunch, I headed straight off to see the Temple, which is the main feature of Madurai. It's dedicated to Mekenshi, a warrior goddess who was born to a King who prayed for a son, and got her instead. She was a feirce leader, led many battles, and defeated Shiva. Once they laid eyes on each other, they fell in love, and the two of them ruled her kingdom together until they went into the temple in Madurai. It's a great story, and the place is huge. There is a shrine to Mekenshi (which is always visted first...the only Goddess for whom this is so)and Shiva, and a big Ganesha and tons of other statues on the pillers and walls that are honored with candles and prayers. One in particular was a woman (covered in a silk skirt tied to teh pillar for modesty) which woman (only women) prayed to and rubbed with oil. I was wondering if it was a fertility totem, and many women would annoint their daughters with oil from her. It was really interesting to watch. I spent the whole evening just wandering around, watching people worship, sitting next to the "golden lotus pool" in the courtyard, and finally watching a ceremony in which the god and goddess statutes are put in a special golden swing and sung to by priests.

That night we all had dinner together, and then really enjoyed watching the end of Braveheart on TV. Just as I predicted, I have much more desire to watch stupid movies and eat Western food than I did when I arrived, butI still have a low tolerance for 18 yera-olds. My stratagy was to do just what I wanted, and mostly leave them in the dust!

Satruday, was shopping day! Madrai is famous for tailors, and I sucumbed to their charms and had three shirts made. They weer supposed to copy an Ann Taylor shirt that you and I got together, Jess, but apparently they thought I needed it two sizes bigger. Graet for here, but Ann will have to see to them when I get back. The colors were lovely, though and I remembered what I like abuot barganing. This time I "barganed like a Berber" by saying a price, then not budging until they came down to me. Sometimes, it's the bset way. I also got a few gifts, and a new bag that I made them sow a zipper pocket in. Everything is the most amazing colors, bordered with gold ribbon with lotuses and elephants!

More on the weekend later, the internet is closing early for Dwali (for which I have two invites! and a sari! and bangles! eee!) and I promise that I'll spend lots of time on Saturday catching you all up.

No comments: