Wednesday, November 21, 2007

In which Alison lays out her itnerary

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you eat lots of turkey for me! (Sadly, I think I'm going to be veg for this turkey-day, but at least I will have pie, so the most important thing is covered!)

Here is my plan for after I leave here on Friday. It's ambitious, but I think I can handle it:

23rd: 7:00pm Leave here on th overnight train to Chenni
24th: 7:00 am Arrive in Chenni. Explore the town, stay with Lisette Sat. night
25th: Chenni (possible day-trip to Mamallapuram)
26th: 8:45 am Leave Chenni on train to Kalkutta.
27th: 1:00 Pm Arrive Kalkutta. Explore town.
28th: Eat lots of sweets (what Kalkutta is famous for), Depart at 10:05 pm for Darjeeling
29th: 11:00 am Arrive Jaldapara Wildlife Park. Exploer park. See elephants (hopefully). Stay at park lodge.
30th: 5:15 am Elephant-back trek safari. Leave park around 7:00 am. Arrive Darjeeling around 1:00pm. See Happy Valley Tea plantation.
1st: 9 am Take "Toy Train" to Ghoom. Walk back to Darjeeling, seeing Ghoom monestaries. 4:30 pm High tea
2nd: Shopping. Leave Darjeeling at 4:50 pm train to Varanassi.
3rd: 8:30 Arrive Varanassi. Stay at hotel Ganpathi (web site:www.ganpatiguesthouse.com)*. Explore ghats.
4th: Varanassi
5th: Varanassi (possible day-trip Saranth)
6th: 9:30 am Leave Varanassi for Armitsar
7th 8:30 am Arrive Amristar. See/stay in Golden Temple.*
8th 7:00 am Bus to Dharamsala. Arrive around 1pm.
9th Dharamsala
10th: Dharamsala. Bus at 7pm for Delhi.
11th: 7am: Arrive Delhi, take train at 9:20 for Agra. Arrive Agra 1:30 pm. Rest.
12th: Taj.
13th: Arga, shopping. Leave Agra for Delhi at 5:55pm
14th: Old Delhi.
15th: New Delhi.
16th Shopping.
17th: Flight from New Delhi at 7:30am. Arrive Chicago 5:30 pm.

* This is the only reservation I have made so far. If I make more, I'll let you know, but most places in my price range don't take them and it's nice to see what's on offer, rather than just the ones in the guide book.
*This is flexible, since it's all buses. If I love Amritsar, I'll stay another day. If I hate Dharamsala, I'll leave early for Delhi. I'll just play it by ear.

I miss you all, and will be thinking of you at 2am (about dinner time, home wise!)

No comments: